http://new.schoolnotes.com

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tool #11-Digital Citizenship

The topic of Digital Citizenship is by far the most important information that we can teach our students about technology. I really like how the Digiteen2008 Blog treated the topic of internet safety, especially regarding privacy of personal information:

"You should always remember to never give out your personal information to strangers. If a sexual predator asks you personal things just stop, block, and tell. This means to stop talking to them, block them from talking to you, and tell a guardian about your specific situation."

I will definitely teach the stop, block, & tell method of safety. In addition, the importance of only going to sites approved by parents & teachers, & the importance of copyright adherence are topics I feel it is important to teach our students. I want my students to be proud of what they create & produce and that they should acknowledge other students' work. Even very young students can understand those concepts. Students are never too young to learn that personal product creativity is a right & the responsibility that comes with being a good digital citizen in protecting that right.

Regarding how I would teach Digital Citizenship, I would utilize resources provided by the district, possibly as part of an age-appropriate flipchart. I would follow this up with practice & reinforcement through pair-share or role-play & a closure of creating a Class Chart of what a good digital citizen LOOKS LIKE/ SOUNDS LIKE/FEELS LIKE.

No comments:

Post a Comment